Sunday, December 14, 2008

Got Power?

I'm only asking because...well...we didn't for about 3 days. Wow. You know...in times like these, you realize that you never truly know how much you love something like that until it is taken from you. Especially when we are talking about heat. Warmth. In New England. In the middle of December. And you have 2 little kids with colds. One who is recovering from heart surgery. And your house is 45 degrees. Not. Fun.

Luckily, we went to our house on the cape after trying to brave 2 nights in the cold. Why did we wait that long? Who knows. I guess I thought that the power would come back on a whole lot sooner than it did. You know when you're sitting on your couch and you think, Now! It's going to come on right now! I can just feel it!! But...it never did.

I didn't even realize how severe the ice storm was until we went out to get coffee that first morning. There were trees and branches down all over the place. Well that and the fact that the entire world was at Dunkin Donuts.

Well, we are back home now and we are warm. We're watching T.V and playing on the computer. Our Christmas tree is lit.

Life is good.

10 comments:

~KC: said...

Yes, Life is good!!!. I'm glad you are back home, warm and enjoying a blessed evening :)

Amanda said...

I totally know what you mean .... heat in the house is never so welcome after the power has been out! I also live in New England, but luckily the power stayed on, and we mostly got rain. But people as close as a half hour away were coated in ice and powerless! Glad everything is back to normal.

Cathy said...

Yep...got power here...our ice is coming tonight though. Hopefully nothing like in New England though!!! Glad you're home and warm!

Leigh Anne said...

glad your power is back and you all are safe!

Lisa said...

Oh my, what an ordeal! I'm glad you're back home and everything is okay.

When I was hugely pregnant with Lilah, in the middle of summer here in sunny Southern Calif. during a major heat wave - we're talking 100 degree weather, our power went out for 3 or 4 days. No a/c, a house full of hot, sweaty kids, and a hot, sweaty, pregnant, crabby mama. Oh, and all the food in our fridge and freezer spoiled. Nice.

Derek, Kenzee and Gage said...

Oh man!! I'm so happy that you guys are back to the warmth now! I've never even heard of that bad of a power-outage!!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you and yours are safe. It's scary to be w/o power when it's so cold. Hanging around zero here. If our power went out, we'd go somewhere else right away. Anyway, I'm glad you're safe.

Tricia said...

glad the power's back on. mt in-laws (in NH) are still without!!!!

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

I can't imagine 2 days with freezing cold temps in the house and no power for anything! I am glad you were able to go to your house on the cape until the power came back on. Thank you, Laurie, for all of your wonderful and encouraging words about Whitney's surgery and recovery! I hope Dylan continues to get stronger every day and hopefully he continues to sleep through the night for you!!!!!!!! :)

Amy said...

Glad you have your power back.