We met with the Feeding Team yesterday for about 2 hours. It seemed interesting and after suffering from a serious food-funk lately with Dylan, I am now feeling re-motivated to get going again. I am going to start slowly, though, and make small changes. They told me that this will most likely take a while and to think in terms of "baby steps". I mentioned that I was nervous about making too many changes as that totally backfired on me the last time.
Anyway, they left me a list of suggestions and will check back in with us again in about 6 weeks to see how everything is going.
Some things that were suggested to me (in case anyone out there is in a similar boat) were:
~add broken up Baby Mum-Mums to a favorite puree (or YoBaby) as they will dissolve and will not pose a threat if he does not chew them all the way; this will slowly introduce increased textures while maintaining safety and will also help with tongue movement
~use whole milk mixed with Pediasure to increase caloric intake and fat
~continue with different straw cups (thinner or loopier/longer straws = increased difficulty)
~dipping Nuk Brush into a juice or powdered lemonade and rubbing mouth; feed puree off the Nuk Brush
~look at Greek Yogurts; Nectar Juices; natural ways to thicken juices
~for variety and increased protein, mix stage one meats with stage 2 or 3 veggies
~add a different texture to every meal - he does not have to eat it; try food play; vary the way the food is prepared and let him watch me prepare it (we do not want him thinking that all food has to come from a jar!)
~slowly give him some single grain rice baby cereal
So, that's where we are at right now. We'll get it. It just may take some time.
As we were driving home from an appointment today, I finally found this store that I have been meaning to visit. It's called My Low Carb Life and the couple who owns the store have an 18 year old son with Down syndrome and Celiac Disease! I am really looking forward to getting to know them more as we continue on this journey...
We have decided to move forward with getting Ear Tubes placed for Dylan. We feel it is the best decision for him at this time and will be scheduling it within the month. Unfortunately, today we found out that we will need to schedule another surgical procedure due to scar tissue forming and improper healing after his first circumcision that was done shortly after his birth. Bah! What are the chances of that happening, right?! Well I can tell you, actually. There is a 1% chance of that happening and naturally, that would be Mr. Dylan...
Good thing I am madly in love with this kid...: )