Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Summ, summ, summah time.

This summer we had the option of either sending Dylan to a preschool for children with special needs, or opting out of summer school and continuing with his Early Intervention services.

Originally, I had planned on sending him to preschool as I thought it would be an integrated preschool setting, just like the one he will be attending in September.  But, apparently the summer program is different.  There are different teachers from the ones who will be teaching in the fall, as well as different therapists and children, too.  In the summer, only children who currently have an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) attend the school and are typically older than age four. 

Once I was told this information at his IEP meeting a couple of months ago (was it really that long ago?!), I decided to opt out of summer school and continue with his Early Intervention services.  Dylan has been receiving, and still does receive, Physical Therapy, Speech Therapy, and Educator Services.  We have been very fortunate that his EI Team agreed to continue working with him (except for his PT who went to India for the summer- BUT was quickly replaced by a wonderful woman!).  Dylan's team will continue working with him for the next few weeks.  Then...we are done.

I can not even begin to wrap my head around the fact that in 3 weeks, we will no longer have Early Intervention in our lives.  Dylan was a couple of weeks old when EI became a part of our family, and it seems so odd that we will be "on our own" once Dylan begins school.   Maybe it sounds strange, but I am actually really going to miss EI...alot.

Anyway...
I feel that the decision to keep Dylan home this summer has been the best choice for him. But really, he hasn't been "home" much at all.    The swim club is where we've been!  The swim club that we belong to, which is where I coach a swim team, has been a blessing for both Dylan and Cassidy.

No, he still isn't walking or standing (a post on that to come later).  I just like to stand him up against walls and/or poles.: )

Cass has made so much progress this summer, both in the water and out!


This is our first summer at this club, and I'm pretty sure that Dylan knows each and every member by name.


And I know they all know his.
 

I do not think it is a coincidence that Dylan's speech has increased dramatically this summer. I believe that this swim club has been the best inclusive classroom that we could have asked for!  


Now if we could just slow this summer wayyy down, that would be awesome.

No comments: